[zfs-devel] Ping: reasoning in module/zfs/zfs_ctldir.c

Andreas Dilger adilger at dilger.ca
Wed Oct 12 17:13:55 EDT 2016

I think one of the major technical limitations of ZFS on 32-bit platforms was the limited vmalloc address space, since ZFS used vmalloc heavily for large data block buffers.

The ABD patches (not yet landed for 0.7.0) remove the need for vmalloc in the IO path, so ZFS should be much more usable on 32-bit platforms than before.

ZFS itself works fine with 32-bit systems (AFAIK, based on comments for BSD), so I don't think there is a fundamental objection to it, just a shortcoming in the Linux kernel that is making it more difficult, and a general lack of people who are using 32-bit CPUs these days.

If this is a area of interest to you, I would strongly recommend that you get the latest version of the ABD patch and test it on your platform and provide feedback to the developers. I suspect they will be generally helpful in response to any issues you find, but don't expect others to do extra work on a "fringe" platform if you aren't willing to put in some effort there yourself.

If this is of real interest to you (e.g. you depend on this working for some platform you support), you could even register a buildbot for your platform and run extended testing to ensure that regressions are not introduced with new patches.

Cheers, Andreas