[zfs-devel] Can spares be shared across multiple pools in 0.7.1-1?

Raamsri ramsri at fractalio.com
Thu Aug 31 03:49:34 EDT 2017

Hello zfs-devel,

Please excuse me if here is not the right place to ask this.

I'm able to share spares across multiple pools in version 0.6.5.7-1, but
not able to do the same on version 0.7.1-1. I do not understand why. I have
included the outputs from the commands I tried to show the approach. I'm
not sure where I have gone wrong here.

Please care to point out what is it that I'm missing.

[root at linux integralstor]# uname -a
Linux linux.local 3.10.0-327.10.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Feb 16 17:03:50 UTC
2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[root at linux integralstor]# cat /etc/centos-release
CentOS Linux release 7.2.1511 (Core)

[root at linux integralstor]# modinfo zfs | grep version
version:         0.7.1-1
rhelversion:    7.2
srcversion:     F0EAE7776B8F345890A8D99
vermagic:       3.10.0-327.10.1.el7.x86_64 SMP mod_unload modversions

[root at linux integralstor]# zpool status
  pool: zp1
 state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        zp1         ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            sda     ONLINE       0     0     0
            sdb     ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

  pool: zp2
 state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        zp2         ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            sdc     ONLINE       0     0     0
            sdd     ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
[root at linux integralstor]# zpool add -f zp2 spare /dev/sde
[root at linux integralstor]# zpool status
  pool: zp1
 state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        zp1         ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            sda     ONLINE       0     0     0
            sdb     ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

  pool: zp2
 state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        zp2         ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            sdc     ONLINE       0     0     0
            sdd     ONLINE       0     0     0
        spares
          sde       AVAIL

errors: No known data errors

[root at linux integralstor]
*# zpool add -f zp1 /dev/sde/dev/sde is in use and contains a unknown
filesystem.*

[root at linux integralstor]# zpool remove zp2 /dev/sde
[root at linux integralstor]# zpool add -f zp1 /dev/sde
[root at linux integralstor]# zpool status
  pool: zp1
 state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config: