ZFS on Gentoo Linux

Nils Bausch nils.bausch at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 7 05:58:14 EDT 2011

Hi there,

I was keen on testing 0.6.0rc2 zfsonlinux on my Gentoo box and
installed it last night and imported my existing pool that I had
running with zfs-fuse before. I am monitoring my system with munin and
have seen the same load change to 2 as discussed in here
http://groups.google.com/a/zfsonlinux.org/group/zfs-discuss/browse_thread/thread/cbed31d760b823e1#
. Apart from that I have to say it is much snappier - but that is just
my subjective opinion, I have not run any tests on my zfs-fuse before.
I have built spl and zfs from the tar.gz packages as the layman Gentoo
overlay did not seem to work - it just got stuck very early with a
message that it could not include a patch. My setup is "2.6.36-gentoo-
r5 #2 SMP Thu Mar 17 22:28:15 GMT 2011 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU
920 @ 2.67GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux"
The build process was pretty simple, first buildung spl, then zfs and
pointing with an absolute path to the spl build directory, when
everything was finished a depmod -a did make the kernel modules
loadable and ldconfig the shared libraries for the commands.

Great work and I am looking forward in seeing ZFS in all kinds of
linux distros in the future.

cheers