[zfs-discuss] Re: Debian Linux ZFS boot

Darik Horn dajhorn at vanadac.com
Mon Dec 12 22:35:45 EST 2011

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 03:00, Zenny <garbytrash at gmail.com> wrote:
> Could you elaborate a bit about "removing the mountall dependency from the
> debian/control file should be enough to make zfs-initramfs compatible
> with Debian."?

The debian/control file is where package dependencies are set.  If you
change the debian/control file and recompile the zfs-linux source
package, then the zfs-initramfs binary package can be installed on
Debian without forcing it.

However, you'll still need to recompile grub against libzfs to
actually use zfs-initramfs as intended.

The core PPA packages for Ubuntu Lucid are all currently compatible
with Debian Squeeze, but the grub support needs to redone.

> Also I read in this mailing list that an upgrade to 0.6-RCx make the
> machine to crash almost every week. What is the situation of such
> unpredictable behaviour? Thanks!

I think that many recent ZoL crash reports are caused by computers
with unreliable non-ECC memory, overclocked CPUs, or overloaded PSUs.

I've been dogfooding ZoL since the KQ team finished the ZPL, and it
works well for me personally, and bigger outfits are doing product
trials with it.

--
Darik Horn <dajhorn at vanadac.com>