[zfs-discuss] Change the default ARC size

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Mon Dec 26 15:47:55 EST 2011

On 11/28/2011 05:17 PM, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>  However, now we have quite a few people with a diverse
> set of configurations to suggest better defaults.
>
> Let me suggest an easy straight forward change to 1/2 of total system
> memory OR all but 2GB, whichever is larger.  Other suggestions are
> welcome but the idea is to pick defaults which will be reasonable for
> most configurations.

Between '1/2 of total system memory' AND 'all but 2GB', can we (the
users with the diverse set of configurations) help to quantify how much
of a benefit there is?  If it's minimal, it might make sense to take the
more conservative default.  If the benefit from 25% of system memory to
50% of system memory is also minimal, that would also be worth talking
about.

The patch for issue #466 should make it possible for me to test -
perhaps a set of Bonnie++ tests or something else would be useful?

-Bill

--
Bill McGonigle, Owner
BFC Computing, LLC
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Social networks: bill_mcgonigle/bill.mcgonigle