[zfs-discuss] Good way to stress test two new drives?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Mon Dec 26 16:07:24 EST 2011

On 12/23/2011 01:43 AM, Omen Wild wrote:
> I just put together my new server and need to stress test two new drives.
> Any recommendations besides just filling them up with data then running
> scrub a bunch of times?

There might be a better way to do it, but I've found it sufficient to
kick out some bad-from-the-factory drives.  In one batch of 12 drives, I
found two that went ZFS offline due to data errors with just:

 zfs create mypool/burnin
 zfs set compress=off mypool/burnin
 cat < /dev/zero > /mypool/burnin/zeroes
 zpool scrub mypool

And then SMART knew about unrecoverable bad blocks.  It's at least an
easy way to find the worst of them.

ZFS - because drives are crap.

-Bill

--
Bill McGonigle, Owner
BFC Computing, LLC
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Social networks: bill_mcgonigle/bill.mcgonigle