[zfs-discuss] Re: work around for /POSIX/ ACL support

Stephane CHAZELAS stephane_chazelas at yahoo.fr
Tue Dec 27 16:02:30 EST 2011

2011-12-26, 16:01(-05), Bill McGonigle:
> Clever and slick solution, Stephane!

Thanks Bill.

> On 12/22/2011 08:17 AM, Stephane CHAZELAS wrote:
>> This is intended for people like me who use ZFS as a backup
>> solution and who would like to preserve the ACL information in
>> the files from other FS (with ACL support) that are being backed up.
>
> IF you happen to be using rsync for backup, had you experimented with
> --fake-super to store the ACL's on ZFS?
[...]

Oh no! Don't tell me I've reinvented the wheel...

The --fake-super works as well.

The advantage of my solution though is that is covers ACL only,
while --fake-super will also cover permissions, devices,
ownership as well.

With the solution I propose, the files on the destination of the
rsync will have the right ownership and permissions. And with
LD_PRELOAD, other applications (not only rsync) will be able to
read and write the ACLs (but again, those ACLs won't have any
effect on file access permissions (not anymore than the fake
ACLs set by rsync --fake-super)).

BTW, I've just realised I've forgotten to wrap removexattr(2) in
the example code I gave earlier.

--
Stephane