[zfs-discuss] working on plan for zfs-root

Darik Horn dajhorn at vanadac.com
Thu Jul 14 12:37:04 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-07-14 at 21:01 +0700, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> That was my first guess. I tried everything I can think of:
> - making sure both /etc/hostname and /etc/hostid are the same on the
> server and initrd.
> - remove /etc/hostid on the server and initrd (which, of course, make
> spl module unable to load :P )
> - removing /etc/hostid, run "hostid", and creating /etc/hostid
> manually (xxd helps) so that the output stays the same (which always
> seem to be 007f0100 in my case)
> - changing the content of /etc/hostid with some random text (spl seems
> to load fine with it)
>
> None of them works.

I am able to reproduce this bug, but it seems peculiar to Ubuntu Natty
running in a virtual machine.  When I step through the import process,
it looks like a failure to read the ZPOOL_CONFIG_HOSTID nvpair.

One way to help diagnose this problem would be to find it on a non-Natty
computer.

Additionally, a hostid of 0x007f0100 or 0x007f0101 means that you
probably have this bug:

This happens when the system hostname corresponds to a loopback entry
in /etc/hosts instead of a real network interface.