[zfs-discuss] next project: read-only zfs root/live systems?

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Fri Jul 15 02:28:47 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Christ Schlacta <aarcane at aarcane.org> wrote:
> On 7/14/2011 21:36, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:

> the point is to set the root filesystem as readonly and mount a union with
> tmpfs atop it, but will the initramfs support that in it's current state?
> of course user data (/var, /home, etc. ) has to be separated from data, but
> most of these systems I'll be updating here shortly either already use nfs
> to mount /home/*, or are "application" devices (mpd, xbmc, etc.) that don't
> have alot of demand for data that can't essentially be discarded at reboot,
> or in a hardware failure, and may someday use iscsi root anyway.

Ubuntu Live CD uses this setup by default using casper and
unionfs-fuse. However, this is usually done in conjuction with
read-only, compressed squashfs. This link should be helpful:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomizationFromScratch .
Some infos are missing or outdated though (for example, it doesn't
mention the need to have unionfs-fuse or unionfs kernel module).

In theory, it MIGHT be possibly to replace squashfs with any file
system (including zfs), but I haven't tried it yet. As usual, if you
decide to try it, let us know how it goes :)

--
Fajar