[zfs-discuss] Re: ZFS on 32 bit OS

Selim selimbaygin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 07:53:52 EDT 2011

Tried vmaloc=512m on a 3 and 4GB RAM system. It always results in the
dreaded "vmalloc failed" kernel messages. Increasing vmalloc to 768M,
1024M or 2048M wouldn't even boot the kernel.

Kernel error messages would only start after a prolonged rsync session
over the network. Never found a way to stop it; just doing an
occassional "echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches".  This would "unblock"
the frozen transfer due to the vmalloc error messages.