[zfs-discuss] Allow setting bootfs on raidz pool?

Christ Schlacta aarcane at aarcane.org
Mon Jul 25 17:59:11 EDT 2011

On 7/25/2011 14:56, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 1:12 AM, Brian Behlendorf<behlendorf1 at llnl.gov>  wrote:
>> I was recently looking at vdev_is_bootable() for a similar reason.  The
>> upstream code also prevents you from setting bootfs when you have a
>> wholedisk leaf vdev in the pool.  Does anyone know why this restriction
>> is there?
> Because AFAIK solaris uses a version of grub1 which does not support
> GPT, and using wholedisk will create GPT label.

gpt boot is inadvisable without a bios_grub partition.  as using
wholedisk precludes this option, it is ill advisable to add this
feature.  However, if the partition table has enough room to be
modified, it can be done.  bios_grub partitions of as little as <1MB are
excessively large in practice, and allignment is of utmost unimportance
for grub.