[zfs-discuss] post-boot woes. nothing happens.

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Sun Jul 31 18:37:38 EDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 5:08 AM, Christ Schlacta <aarcane at aarcane.org> wrote:
> I finally got zfs-grub to boot last night, and now I can load (presumably)
> the kernel and the initramfs, because if I add "verbose" to the command line
> I can see my network device and hard-drive stuff on screen.

What did you finally use? pools back to default ashift?
Did you follow Darik's tutorial, or did you diverge somewhere (e.g.
copy from exisisting "/" instead of debootstrap, no separate
/boot/grub, etc)

>  everything
> flashes by so fast I can't see any error messages (and for some odd reason,
> I can't get the USB drive to boot in vmware server).

I use virtualbox (smaller, easier to manage), and in there I can
create a raw vmdk disk to passthrough raw block device. So you CAN NOT
map the USB disk to VM as USB and boot from there directly, but you
CAN passthru the block device and the VM will see it just like another
virtual disk.

Same concept should apply to vmware.

>  I've checked
> everything I can think of, and I'm not sure why it's still failing.
>
> any help diagnosing this failure would be much appreciated.

Following the tutorial should just work. You need to tell more what
you did differently.

--
Fajar

PS: This doesn't mean you shouldn't diverge from the tutorial. It
simply means if you changed something, you need to know what exactly
that change does and how it would affect the system.