[zfs-discuss] High Resource Usage During Copy

Steve Costaras stevecs at chaven.com
Sun Jun 12 11:16:24 EDT 2011

First thing I usally look for in top would be interrupts (hardware (%hi)/software(%si)) then i/o wait (wa), then cpu% as the first items would inflate cpu% (taking cycles to handle the other items). it's also good to use the '1' (single/seperate line for each core) so you can see the loading a bit easier.

On top of that looking at 'zpool iostat X' (where X is seconds) will show you the 'data' portion that is being handed to the subsystem, but the os's iostat -mx X (X also seconds) will show you all data (including CRC overhead) going to a disk, as well as any service time request size items. Generally, first thing I look for is a disk that is handling more or less (substancially) than others in the same pool. This could indicate a problem with the drive/cabeling/hba/chassis et al. and would merit further investigation.

Generally for SATA drives, I try and keep the utilization below 40% (below 20% for 'lower quality' drives), SAS/FC you can normally run these up to 60-80% before you start seeing real user level issues.