[zfs-discuss] Re: using ZFS Root Pool in natty - i dont get it to work: another problem

Swâmi Petaramesh swami at petaramesh.org
Tue Jun 28 02:36:45 EDT 2011

Le lundi 27 juin 2011 à 23:19 -0700, UbuntuNewbie a écrit :
> Ok, I reverted back to the configuration with a separate /boot/grub
> device.
[...]
> grub-probe /

Grub doesn't really need to understand "/". For booting, it needs to
understand "/boot".

If I were you I would try using a separate /boot partition, not
only /boot/grub

The trick of using a separate /boot/grub is for preventing grub from
spitting a "Sparse fiile not allowed" warning at boot time. But this
warning wouldn't prevent booting anyway, I have the same thing on
another machine setup atop BTRFS. It warns, then boots.

IMHO the grub you have (you installed the version with ZFS support,
didn't you ?) doesn't understand your ZFS setup (just like it doesn't
understand mine...) so your /boot (where it loads its components, kernel
and initramfs from) will have to be non-ZFS.

All this a bit looks like quite experimental stuff ;-)