Migration from the KQ Implementation

Matthew Robbetts wingfeathera at gmail.com
Tue May 3 16:29:03 EDT 2011

Hi Gordan,

On 05/03/11 19:54, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> On 05/03/2011 05:51 PM, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>> Hi Gordon,
>>
>> I would suggest you try the latest 0.6.0-rc source from Github or
>> Darik's PPA.  This will become the 0.6.0-rc4 tag shortly if it passes
>> the needed testing.  I suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised with the
>> stability of this implementation.
>>
>> github:
>>    git clone git://github.com/behlendorf/spl.git
>>    git clone git://github.com/behlendorf/zfs.git
>>
>> PPA:
>>    https://launchpad.net/~dajhorn/+archive/zfs
>>
>> As for when an official 0.6.0 tag will be released it primarily depends
>> on resolving the remaining 14 open bugs.  We don't want to tag a stable
>> release with any know stability/correctness issues.
>>
>>    http://github.com/behlendorf/zfs/issues
>
> Indeed, I understand that.
>
>> As for your dedup+compression issue I would suggest trying to reproduce
>> it with this code base.
>
> The problem is that the issue is quite nebulous. Once it occurs, the
> kernel will crash hard, and the stack trace goes off screen. The only
> thing that I know for sure is that txg_sync is listed in the trace, and
> that it will happen as soon as zfs module is loaded (if zpool.cache
> exists), or as soon as the zpool is imported (if there is no zpool.cache).
>
> In retrospect I should have probably made sure that the zpool is created
> as v23 so that I could use the fuse implementation to scrub the pool out
> and still have the data accessible, but I hadn't thought of that in time
> - and I really want to avoid having to do another 4 TB restore (you
> never quite realize just how much data 4TB is until you actually have to
> copy it all).

I'm not sure what version your pool was made at, but if you try Emmanuel
Anne's branch of zfs-fuse
(http://rainemu.swishparty.co.uk/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=zfs, you can get
there from the zfs-fuse.net homepage), pool version 26 is supported. I'm
using this branch right now and it works beautifully for me.

Matt