Migration from the KQ Implementation

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Wed May 4 04:51:36 EDT 2011

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Matthew Robbetts <wingfeathera at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Which brings me to another, somewhat tangential point. Sun and Oracle have thus far failed to provide a fsck tool for ZFS. In the absence of such a tool from an official source, is there a future plan/intention for providing such a thing within the scope of this project? I know that ZFS is supposedly designed so that it is always consistently recoverable, but I know of several cases at work where this wasn't the case after a crash, using pure stable Solaris.
>

> Would such a tool be needed? I've always thought that scrub provides all of the features of fsck but is also able to work online. Is this not the case?

In the past there have been some cases where users are unable to mount
the disk due to various problems (mostly because the disk "lie" about
whether it has committed writes). The approach taken by Sun to fix
this problem is to do some "checks" and "fix" during pool import time
(i.e. somewhat similar to journal reply on ext3/4). One might argue
that since ext4 still needs fsck, the same thing is also true for zfs.
But AFAIK there's no such plan in Oracle to create fsck-like tool for
zfs.

Scrub is a different matter altogether, designed to detect block
corruption in used disk space.

--
Fajar