Migration from the KQ Implementation

Gordan Bobic gordan.bobic at gmail.com
Wed May 4 20:54:19 EDT 2011

On 04/05/2011 23:57, Jason J. W. Williams wrote:
>> It's hard to sell ZFS as a possibility in my $orkplace if there's no last
>> resort option for data recovery (several hundred Tb involved)
> Honestly, we've been using ZFS since 2006 and the only time a pool has
> been completely unimportable had to do with dedup. And I'm sure if I'd
> cared about that pool I could have coaxed it into importing with zdb.
> If you're coming from any other filesystem I can understand the
> concern, but it's pretty da*n hard to get a ZFS filesystem to be
> inconsistent.

Considering I was talking to somebody at the place where I work last
week about a case where ZFS wasn't recoverable, I can only conclude that
you've been lucky. The only way the file system got salvaged in the case
I'm talking about was by enlisting the services of one of the original
ZFS developers and some of his custom tools for recovering data off a
ZFS file system. It does happen, and tweaking zdb isn't always sufficient.

Gordan