Migration from the KQ Implementation

Jason J. W. Williams jasonjwwilliams at gmail.com
Wed May 4 21:00:06 EDT 2011

> Considering I was talking to somebody at the place where I work last week
> about a case where ZFS wasn't recoverable, I can only conclude that you've
> been lucky. The only way the file system got salvaged in the case I'm
> talking about was by enlisting the services of one of the original ZFS
> developers and some of his custom tools for recovering data off a ZFS file
> system. It does happen, and tweaking zdb isn't always sufficient.

I'd say they were unlucky. Only cases I've encountered that ended in
that kind of recovery involved bad storage controllers, and fsck
wouldn't have helped (and I'm aware of most of those cases). A custom
recovery job would have been required anyway and that's the point, the
things you want fsck for ZFS does already. Fsck is a very limited
tool.