Migration from the KQ Implementation

Uncle Stoatwarbler stoatwblr at gmail.com
Thu May 5 07:53:15 EDT 2011

On 05/05/11 04:14, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:

> While most filesystems included in Linux kernel have fcsk, some do not
> (or don't have a "fixing" version). Examples include:
> - squashfs (a read-only compressed filesystem)
> - btrfs (fsck.btrfs is currently not capable of fixing errors)

Strawman.

squashfs is intended for roms and the way to fix it is to reimage the FS.

btrfs is experimental and not regarded as producttion ready (FWIW I was
able to render it unUsable with a few power cycles during normal
operation, whilst on top of a raid5 array which recovered fine)

> There are cases where even an fsck will not help (like a raidz1 on ZFS
> or raid5 on Linux md with two broken disks), where IMHO the data won't
> be recoverable by design.

This is as much about perception as reality. A fs without some form of
single-user/offline recovery mode is regarded with extreme suspcion by
greybeards, with lots of past experience as the reason why.

AB