Cool tools, CopyFS and lsyncd

Omen Wild omen.wild at gmail.com
Thu May 5 17:27:03 EDT 2011

Quoting Gordan Bobic <gordan.bobic at gmail.com> on Thu, May 05 01:58:

> I actually use lsyncd to trigger file syncing to a backup volume on every
> write-close, and the backup volume is running CopyFS to ensure that every
> version of the file that was ever saved (well, within reason, space
> allowing) can be retrieved. But as I said, restoring from a backup is much
> slower than fsck would be.

I figure this was lost in the greater discussion going on about fsck, but
I was wondering if you would be willing to share a little more about your
setup.

Have you had any issues with CopyFS?  The idea looks really cool, but the
code has been unmaintained for a while.

Does lsyncd deal well with changes that happen faster than the network
can keep up?  I need to get a good offsite backup strategy going.

--
Bug, n.: An aspect of a computer program which exists because the
programmer was thinking about Jumbo Jacks or stock options when she