Location of some executables

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Tue May 10 05:48:27 EDT 2011

2011/5/9 Marcin Mirosław <marcin at mejor.pl>:
> Hi again,
> i've noticed all executables and libraries are placed under /usr dir.

This is consistent with solaris.

> This can be problematic in situation /usr is placed on diffrent
> partition than / . In early boot /usr isn't mounted, udev daemon is
> looking for zpool_id in /usr/ and throws "no such". Imho zpool_id (and
> zvol_id) shoud be located in /bin.
> Similar situation is with libspl, libzfs and binaries: zpool and zfs.
> They are placed in /usr hierarchy, it prevents from creating /usr on the
> zfs filesystem. Could be them moved to /sbin by upstream?:)
> Marcin.

What happens in solaris is /bin and /sbin is now symlink to /usr/bin
and /usr/sbin, and the default installation puts everything in a
single fileystem (except for /export, which includes /export/home).
This is needed to make management of boot environment (BE) easier.

Personally I agree with that approach, and we should keep it the same
for Linux. If you want, you can use zfs for "/" (Darik has posted
instructions for doing so in Ubuntu, search list archive if you need
it).

--
Fajar