Location of some executables

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Wed May 11 04:43:17 EDT 2011

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 3:07 PM, briaeros007 <briaeros007 at gmail.com> wrote:
> the "good way" of doing this sort of choice in an , is to use a PREFIX
> variable with configure and let the user change it if they want.
> In this way, if the user want to create an user "zfs" which wil manage
> all binaries and lib of zfs in it's home: it's easy and possible.

> After all that saying, i'm not a developper and I don't know if it's
> difficult to modify autogen (or equivalent) scripts to add the PREFIX
> thing.

There's already plenty of location-related option to configure script,
including: exec_prefix prefix bindir sbindir, with prefix defaults to
/usr/local

You get executables on /usr if:
- you use packages, either self-compiled (e.g. "make rpm") or from a
distro-specific repository (e.g. ppa)
- you specifically use --prefix=/usr (or equivalent directive)

--
Fajar