Location of some executables

Gordan Bobic gordan.bobic at gmail.com
Wed May 11 06:47:22 EDT 2011

On 05/11/2011 09:07 AM, briaeros007 wrote:

> /usr can be farily sized (mine do 7.6 Go, /bin and /sbin do 22M...).

And your /lib/modules is about 90MB/kernel if you are using default
distro kernels. initramfs can exceed your 22MB "benchmark" depending on
what hardware you have.

> you can want to have a little "/" partition  for different reason :
> - quota things (you doesn't want your / full only because you've
> install a soft which copy 5 Go on /usr/share

Surely the sane solution there is to put /usr/share on a separate
partition, not /usr.

If I have to split things like this up, I usually have a data volume and
I bind-mount or symlink things from there to the relevant paths.

Gordan