Location of some executables

Marcin Mirosław marcin at mejor.pl
Wed May 11 07:03:31 EDT 2011

W dniu 11.05.2011 12:40, Gordan Bobic pisze:
> On 05/11/2011 09:07 AM, briaeros007 wrote:
>> I don't even understand why some must justify multiples times
>> 1°) best practice (this is a best practice! Just take any true (plain
>> old?) linux installer, and you will see a choice like  "server  : /,
>> /usr, /home, /var, /tmp are separated).
>
> I think it's time to move from 1980s to the 21st century. This was
> relevant when disks were small and expensive. RHEL6 has dropped support
> for custom partitioning in text installers - you have to run the GUI
> installer to do custom, manual partitioning. The only way to do it
> without the GUI is to kickstart it. Don't know about other distros, but
> I'd be amazed if any desktop distro released in the last decade defaults
> to a separate /usr.

It's a problem of RHEL6.
You are adorer having one partition / . I prefer to have /tmp on difrent
partition (with noexec, nosuid, nodev, noatime, and a few nofoo more),
/var/log on diffrent partition (it's not nice to have /var partition
full). From the same reason i have /var on diffrent partition, if you
have full /var i can have problem with init scripts and even with login
using ssh. Oh, i prefer to have /usr/portage on partition formated with
smaller block than default 4kB.
I prefer to... I expect a littleflexibility from linux, otherwise i can
use OS which impel me to keep my docs in "My documents" and ma home in
"Document and settings".
Is this flame really neede?:)
Regards.