Location of some executables

Gordan Bobic gordan.bobic at gmail.com
Wed May 11 07:11:28 EDT 2011

On 05/11/2011 12:03 PM, Marcin Mirosław wrote:
> W dniu 11.05.2011 12:40, Gordan Bobic pisze:
>> On 05/11/2011 09:07 AM, briaeros007 wrote:
>>> I don't even understand why some must justify multiples times
>>> 1°) best practice (this is a best practice! Just take any true (plain
>>> old?) linux installer, and you will see a choice like  "server  : /,
>>> /usr, /home, /var, /tmp are separated).
>>
>> I think it's time to move from 1980s to the 21st century. This was
>> relevant when disks were small and expensive. RHEL6 has dropped support
>> for custom partitioning in text installers - you have to run the GUI
>> installer to do custom, manual partitioning. The only way to do it
>> without the GUI is to kickstart it. Don't know about other distros, but
>> I'd be amazed if any desktop distro released in the last decade defaults
>> to a separate /usr.
>
> It's a problem of RHEL6.
> You are adorer having one partition / . I prefer to have /tmp on difrent
> partition (with noexec, nosuid, nodev, noatime, and a few nofoo more),
> /var/log on diffrent partition (it's not nice to have /var partition
> full).

Indeed, I do the same thing. But we aren't talking about separating /tmp
and /var/log, we were talking about separating /usr.

> From the same reason i have /var on diffrent partition, if you
> have full /var i can have problem with init scripts and even with login
> using ssh.

Sure, but things like /var/lock are important at service startup time.
There are things that will subtly break if certain /var subtrees aren't
there _before_ 0 priority services start up.

> Oh, i prefer to have /usr/portage on partition formated with
> smaller block than default 4kB.
> I prefer to... I expect a littleflexibility from linux, otherwise i can
> use OS which impel me to keep my docs in "My documents" and ma home in
> "Document and settings".
> Is this flame really neede?:)

LOL! Whatever makes you happy. Each to his own. ;)

Gordan