Location of some executables

briaeros007 briaeros007 at gmail.com
Wed May 11 07:38:46 EDT 2011

2011/5/11 Gordan Bobic <gordan.bobic at gmail.com>:
> On 05/11/2011 09:07 AM, briaeros007 wrote:
>
>> /usr can be farily sized (mine do 7.6 Go, /bin and /sbin do 22M...).
>
> And your /lib/modules is about 90MB/kernel if you are using default distro
> kernels. initramfs can exceed your 22MB "benchmark" depending on what
> hardware you have.

A benchmark ? Where ?
I've just give the size of the tree directory which were discussed. No
more, no less.

And saying that my /lib is 700Mb.
It's always ten times less than my /usr.

>> you can want to have a little "/" partition  for different reason :
>> - quota things (you doesn't want your / full only because you've
>> install a soft which copy 5 Go on /usr/share
>
> Surely the sane solution there is to put /usr/share on a separate partition,
> not /usr.
One option doesn't invalidate the others, does it?

> If I have to split things like this up, I usually have a data volume and I
> bind-mount or symlink things from there to the relevant paths.

If i follow all enterprises I work with, i will stick with a / , a
/boot , and lvm for the others partitions.