zpool create cannot open '/dev/sda': Device or resource busy

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Fri May 20 10:18:44 EDT 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 8:17 PM, dubois <dubois.michel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First .... Congratulation for porting ZFS on ubuntu and Debian
> distribution.....
>
> I think I installed well the module in my kernel but now I can 't
> create my zpool.
> VirtualBox:~$ sudo zpool create rpool /dev/sda
> cannot open '/dev/sda': Device or resource busy

Be glad that it stopped you. Seriously.

> I suppose I've to do it in live CD, but I didn't found any
> documentation how to install ubutnu with ZFS as native FS. So, I've
> several question :
>
> Do I've to compile my zfs module kernel on live CD before install my
> distribution on my hard disk? In this case how can I install my
> distribution as the wizard ask me to  format in EXT4 (snake loop)
> How could I do for get all my system mount on ZFS on each reboot ?
>
> Thanks for your help ....

Start with https://github.com/dajhorn/pkg-zfs/wiki/HOWTO-install-Ubuntu-to-a-Native-ZFS-Root-Filesystem

Although to be honest, judging from your question I highly suggest you
do NOT use zfs as root yet, as I don't think you fully understand the
implications.

Start with using zfs for non root first (e.g for /tank, /data or
whatever) and play with it to get familiar with zfs functionality and
usability.

--
Fajar