zpool scrub speed

Uncle Stoatwarbler stoatwblr at gmail.com
Sun May 22 11:22:04 EDT 2011

On 20/05/11 17:44, Nils Bausch wrote:

>> can you post a zpool status -v
>
>    pool: wtf
>   state: ONLINE
>   scan: scrub repaired 2K in 14h54m with 0 errors on Thu May 19
> 10:27:15 2011
> config:
>
> 	NAME                                    STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
> 	wtf                                     ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	  raidz1-0                              ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    ata-SAMSUNG_HD154UI_S1XWJ1KSB33767  ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    ata-SAMSUNG_HD154UI_S1XWJ1KSB33765  ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    ata-SAMSUNG_HD154UI_S1XWJ1KSC11001  ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    ata-SAMSUNG_HD154UI_S1XWJ1MSC01749  ONLINE       0     0     0

For comparison:

# zpool status -v
   pool: ZFSMEDIA
  state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 3h47m with 0 errors on Fri May 13 17:34:23 2011
config:

         NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
         ZFSMEDIA    ONLINE       0     0     0
           raidz1-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
             sda     ONLINE       0     0     0
             sdb     ONLINE       0     0     0
             sdc     ONLINE       0     0     0
             sdg     ONLINE       0     0     0
             sdh     ONLINE       0     0     0
         logs
           sdf6      ONLINE       0     0     0
         cache
           sdf8      ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

   pool: ZFSROOT
  state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h54m with 0 errors on Wed May 18 00:32:57 2011
config:

         NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
         ZFSROOT     ONLINE       0     0     0
           mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
             sdd3    ONLINE       0     0     0
             sde3    ONLINE       0     0     0
         cache
           sdf7      ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

> Model Family:     SAMSUNG SpinPoint F2 EG series
> Device Model:     SAMSUNG HD154UI
> 1.5 TB and they have 512 bytes as sector size.

Mine are 2Tb versions of the same thing for /ZFSMEDIA (/ZFSROOT are
320Gb Seagate Momentus drives which also have /boot and swap onboard,
the cache is a 64Gb "Integral SATAII and USB SSD")

Why not try:

1: Adding another drive or 2 (4 drive raid5 is quite slow, I'd expect
zfs to suffer similarly)

2: Adding a cache device - even a cheap $50 ssd has a noticeable effect.

Alan