zpool create cannot open '/dev/sda': Device or resource busy

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Mon May 23 05:23:49 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 4:09 PM, dubois <dubois.michel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your answer and documentation,
>
> I'm a user of SOLARIS10 as server so I know ZFS doesn't like
> partitioned disk.... Is it different on Ubuntu?

zfs can use partitioned disk just fine.
The difference is if you give full disk, zfs can do things like
choosing the right label (smi or zfs), enable disk cache, etc.

> Starting reading you documentation, my system should be implemented
> with an EXT4 FS as root partition system and ZFS on the other
> partition ...... Right?

If you want to test, yes. e.g:
- /dev/sda1 : boot, possibly ext4
- /dev/sda2 : linux (possibly with LVM)
- /dev/sda3 : zfs

If you only want to "play" with zfs you can also use file-backed pool,
with files located on ext2/3/4.

--
Fajar