zpool create cannot open '/dev/sda': Device or resource busy

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Mon May 23 09:03:10 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 6:38 PM, dubois <dubois.michel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Fajar,
> You should add this line in your documentation This make easier the
> module compilation :
> apt-get install build-essential gawk alien fakeroot linux-headers-$
> (uname -r) zlib1g-dev uuid-dev libblkid-dev libselinux1-dev

That's not mine :)
Send suggestions directly to Darik.

> Indeep, following your documentation in the step 3 when I created the
> zpool the system looks  frozen.... Is it normal or I've to wait a big
> time???

Which one is it? zpool create?
IF:
- the partition is not mounted (in Darik's example it's /dev/sda2)
- you use 64bit

then zpool create should finish in a few seconds.
I've seen vmalloc problems when running 32bit Linux, which makes zfs
commands seem to hung forever and syslog flooded with vmalloc
messages. There's a workaround for that (add something like
vmalloc=512M to kernel command line during boot), but then again
running zfsonlinux on 32bit is not recommended, so you should 64bit
instead.

> I'm using a live CD yet...

Are you trying to use zfs as root, or as normal (e.g /tank) pool? If
it's not root, then for "testing" you should'nt need to use live CD.

--
Fajar