various questions regarding zfs-on-linux development

Brian Behlendorf behlendorf1 at llnl.gov
Mon May 23 20:05:12 EDT 2011

Hi Jean,

These are all good questions!  Let me try and take them one at a time
since I'm sure other people are wondering the same things.

> i'm curious whether there are things, people without programming skills
> (well, apart from php and bash if you can put em into the list) could
> do, to help at ZFS.

This is a good point.  I haven't typically been adding non-programming
jobs to the issue tracker but I should.  There are certainly things I'd
love people to start working on.  For example, adding better examples to
the website, putting together a best practices guide for Linux, or
simply clearly documenting the known got'chas.  Other ideas include
helping qualify a release before it's tagged.  This will become much
more important once the project moves beyond a release candidate stage.

Getting the full ZFS Test Suite running on Linux would be a major step
forward for being able to qualify a release.  As more items occur to me
I'll try to add them to the issue tracker and tag them appropriately.

> I'm also interested in, who the "staff" team is. Are you the only one +
> people on the maillinglist? Or is there some team?

At the moment, I'm the only one at LLNL devoted to working on Linux ZFS
full time.  Other LLNL staff members do contribute but their time is
typically split between ZFS and Lustre development.  Personally, I would
like to see the "staff" expanded to include more members of the
community.  The more people who are invested in the project the more
successful it can be.  While I may have gotten the ball rolling, keeping
this mostly a one man effort isn't very scalable!

> Then, how about the webpage, you've got a list with distributions on
> which you tested the zfs functionality, couldn't we automate this with
> automatic submission to the page? I've got a few ideas how to do that,
> and i'd like to implement that. So people who wanna help to see where
> zfs is usable could run a bash script which does various tests and
> reports distribution, kernel, zfs/spl versions + test results. All you
> need to do, would be to verify and accept the incoming results.

Concerning the website I think there's a lot which could be done.  In
fact this is one area where the community could pretty easily
contribute.

In my ideal world Github and the website would be tied in to a public CI
system.  For every commit to master (or a development branch) an
automatic build and regression test suite would be run against N
different distributions.  These results would then be posted publicly so
everyone could see the current status.  I feel strongly this is probably
the only way to ensure the quality of the releases.  Gunnar Beutner has
done some initial work on this.

I'm sure there are many other improvements which could be made to the
website and I'm taking all suggestions!

--
Thanks,
Brian