Problems installing ubuntu 11.04 with native ZFS root

Darik Horn dajhorn at vanadac.com
Tue May 24 07:48:54 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-23 at 23:14 -0700, Joel Weinberger wrote:
> Thanks again for the help; the setup is working great for me.

Welcome.

> > It's not the case that I'm building for a different kernel variant
> > than the host, though.
> > It appears that there are failures during the package install after
> > running 'apt-get install ubuntu-zfs zfs-initramfs'.
> > Here are the parts that I think are relevant:
> >
> > """
> > First Installation: checking all kernels...
> > Building only for 2.6.38-8-generic
> > Building initial module for 2.6.38-8-generic
> > configure: error: in '/var/lib/dkms/spl/0.6.0.14/build':
> > configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
> > See 'config.log' for more details.

It is unusual for that kind of error message to be transient.  Let me
know if it happens again.

Some of given transcript has different strings than the code, so I'm
guessing that you typed this in manually from the console.  Feel free to
send a cellphone photograph of anything that is difficult to copy.