ZFS mount at boot

Darik Horn dajhorn at vanadac.com
Tue May 24 08:30:14 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-23 at 23:32 -0700, Joel Weinberger wrote:
> Is there any way to move the "zfs mount -a" call to earlier in the
> boot process (namely, at the same point that the root file system is
> mounted)?

This is related to the FHS issue.  I will try to fix it.

Right now, you should get the desired result by setting the legacy mount
property on the filesystem and putting it into the /etc/fstab like this:

  rpool/ROOT/ubuntu-1/var  /var  zfs  defaults  0  0

> Both Solaris and FreeBSD do this, which allows you to
> separate parts of the core system into different file systems so, for
> example, you can add compression to /var/log, but not to /usr/bin.

This is not the default behavior on Linux because pivoting more than one
ZFS mount was unreliable when I wrote zfs-initramfs.