ZVOL Device Nodes Disappear

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Wed May 25 02:51:22 EDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-25 at 12:26 +0700, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> It works fine in my setup (I'm using my own test). Then again I needed
> to add vmalloc to kernel command line to have zfs work properly. If
> you use 32bit, try adding it (see below for my kernel cmdline). Also,
> verify that you have the same udev files that I do (and no extra
> *zvol* rule on /etc/udev/rules.d)

I'm on a 64-bit machine. I have the same zvol rule as you and no extras.
I did some further testing. /dev/zd0 is present throughout; it's
the /dev/zvol/zvol_test/zvol symlink that disappears. In dmesg, I get
"zd0: unknown partition table", but this happens immediately after `zfs
create`, not after the mkfs.

The problem also happens with mkfs.ext4, but not mkfs.vfat or mkfs.xfs.

Richard