Big thank you!

Ben ben.bayliss at gmail.com
Sat May 28 08:03:02 EDT 2011

Hi all.

Just wanted to drop in and say thank you so much to the devs who are
refining the ZFS implementation. I posted a while back with some
performance issues and have been regularly updating the Dajhorn PPA
since then and have seen it becoming gradually faster and more stable
for a while.

Back in March I almost lost my whole array due to the scrubbing kernel
panic (or at least it seemed that way...) I eventually managed to
recover it by booting into OpenIndiana on DVD, export, import and stop
the scrub. Thank god for cross-platform support huh?

Today after reading some positive messages here and seeing the issue
tracker on Github gradually thin down, I gave it another go.....

root at NAS:~# zpool status
  pool: tank
 state: ONLINE
 scan: scrub in progress since Sat May 28 02:17:39 2011
    5.92T scanned out of 5.92T at 162M/s, 0h0m to go
    0 repaired, 100.00% done
config:

	NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	tank        ONLINE       0     0     0
	  raidz1-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    sde     ONLINE       0     0     0
	    sdd     ONLINE       0     0     0
	    sdc     ONLINE       0     0     0
	    sdb     ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

root at NAS:~# zpool status
  pool: tank
 state: ONLINE
 scan: scrub repaired 0 in 10h37m with 0 errors on Sat May 28 12:54:52
2011
config:

	NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	tank        ONLINE       0     0     0
	  raidz1-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    sde     ONLINE       0     0     0
	    sdd     ONLINE       0     0     0
	    sdc     ONLINE       0     0     0
	    sdb     ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
root at NAS:~#

All completed, and at a not-too-shabby 160MB/sec as well. This is a
4xSATA array on an Intel Atom D525 based Gigabyte motherboard.

So, keep up the good work. Nearly there I suspect? I'm going to post
another question about root on a raidz pool, but I'll keep this thread
for the good news :)

Ben.