RC5/NFS Support/RC-Tracking PPA?

Brian Behlendorf behlendorf1 at llnl.gov
Tue May 31 15:06:38 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 13:59 -0700, Christ Schlacta wrote:
> I have three questions that go toward a near-future upgrade plan.
>
> 1) Is there any estimated timeline for RC5?

My hope is that rc5 will be out in about two weeks.  There are still a
handful of open issues for this release candidate which are being
tracked.  Patches are well underway for all of the open items.  Then I
need to verify the release candidate works as expected on the 10 or so
distributions I usually test with.

https://github.com/behlendorf/zfs/issues?milestone=9&sort=created&direction=desc&state=open

> 2) Is NFS Support implemented yet?  I've seen alot about it on the list,
> but haven't caught any difinitive yes or no

Yes and no.  Yes, with rc5 you will be able to export a ZFS filesystem
using the kernel nfs server.  No, the 'zfs share' commands are still
being worked on so you will need to manually export the filesystem (like
all other Linux filesystems).

> 3) the PPA linked from the main page says it tracks GIT releases.  is
> there a PPA or repo that tracks RCs or Stable Releases?

The PPA tracks the latest master branch so it is typically ahead of the
official release candidates.  It is currently much closer to what will
be rc5 that what is rc4.

At the moment all we have are release candidates.  There is no stable
release and there won't be until we have a few more issues under
control.  Which isn't to say things aren't stable now for home use.  I
personally run the PPA at home for my file server are rarely have an
issue.  But for a real production filesystem it needs to be rock solid
before a stable tag.

> If it makes any difference, I'm planning to upgrade from ubuntu 10.10 to
> ubuntu 11.4 here shortly, and plan to switch from zfs-fuse to zfsonlinux
> as part of that switch, and from 32 bit to 64 bit, so it'll be quite a leap.

I'd encourage you to go ahead with the PPA.  I think you'll find it
currently works quite well.

--
Thanks,
Brian