[zfs-discuss] Re: Install procedure for zfs-on-root with latest oneiric fails

Darik Horn dajhorn at vanadac.com
Sun Oct 2 16:06:15 EDT 2011

(I fell off this thread earlier, but I'm replying late because the
request was sensible.)

On 09/22/2011 07:24 AM, Erik Koennecke wrote:
> I would strongly suggest that everyone trying to build
> something from scratch with a newer, more volatile Ubuntu version pins
> the repository. This avoids having a non-bootable system in case the
> grub maintainers release something new.
> --Erik

If the ubuntu-zfs and zfs-initramfs packages are installed, then the
zfs-grub support is kept intact during an `apt-get upgrade`, but
overwritten during an `apt-get dist-upgrade`.

Installing the APT pin file with the enhanced grub package is probably
the best solution.  Fajar's example works properly.  Locking the
packages with dpkg or an APT frontend is an alternative.

However, before I do this, I want to check the policy manual regarding
whether this is allowed.

I dislike incrementing the epoch number because it can cause problems
during major upgrades.

--
Darik Horn <dajhorn at vanadac.com>