[zfs-discuss] ZFS Speed

Josh Mackey Josh at mackey.me
Fri Oct 7 03:05:24 EDT 2011

I seem to be having ZFS performance problems.

For example, in a zvol I created and set for iSCSI use. I get around 10-20MB/s transfer speed from the client machine.

Samba shares are pretty horrible performance-wise, but I figured at least iSCSI would have been faster. (An iperf test gives a result of around 568Mb/s so I don't believe it is my network)

This particular pool only has a single drive in it and has nothing using it except the iSCSI zvol.

The drive is a 250GB 7200RPM SATA2 drive.

I am not quite sure on how to proceed from here. Any advice or instructions would be much appreciated.