[zfs-discuss] Import pool with missing devices

Darik Horn dajhorn at vanadac.com
Thu Oct 20 11:50:31 EDT 2011

On 10/20/2011 10:01 AM, turbo at bayour.com wrote:

> debianzfs:~# zpool import -d /dev/disk/by-id -f share
> cannot import 'share': one or more devices is currently unavailable
> debianzfs:~# zpool status
> no pools available

A failed automatic import is sticky, so an explicit `zpool export` is
required before the `zpool import`.

Also check the dmesg and syslog for pertinent messages.

>> If the problem persists, then delete the /etc/zfs/zpool.cache file
>> and try again.
>
> Never (?) existed...

Check for a /usr/local/etc/zfs directory too.

The zpool.cache and zdev.conf files should exist somewhere in etc/ for
all regular working installations.

>> Repeat the experiment by creating the pool using the
>> /dev/disk/by-id/* aliases and you should get the desired result during
>> a fault-and-reboot scenario.
>
> I already have, and all my current tests works just fine. I'll be using
> that on my 'production' (i.e. real) machine, but 'just for the sake of
> learning' (etc :), I would very much like to figure out how to import
> it...

Okay, if the other tests are working, then maybe this pool is actually
damaged.

--
Darik Horn <dajhorn at vanadac.com>