[zfs-discuss] Re: update-manager: zfs-dkms (0.6.0.54-1ubuntu1~oneiric1) ... failures

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Mon Apr 2 18:46:51 EDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-04-01 at 23:50 -0500, Darik Horn wrote:
>> The Ubuntu update notifier calls `/usr/bin/gettext` but does not
>> depend on the package that provides it or otherwise test whether it is
>> available.
>
> So the bug is in update-notifier. I looked into reporting it. It seems
> it's already been reported (some time ago). I submitted a patch, which
> will hopefully move things along. Here's the bug report:
>  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-notifier/+bug/644578

In my case it was a little different. I have a minimal installation
that doesn't have update-notifier installed, with zfs-dkms
0.6.0.57-0ubuntu1~precise1. zfs-dkms postinst has this section

case $1 in
        (configure)
                [ -x /usr/share/update-notifier/notify-reboot-required ] \
                  && /usr/share/update-notifier/notify-reboot-required
                ;;
esac

which somehow always result in "dpkg: error processing zfs-dkms
(--configure)" without any additional useful error message. Manually
creating the directory /usr/share/update-notifier/ and symlinking
/bin/true to notify-reboot-required works, so it is that section
indeed that cause the problems. Not sure why, since the "-x" test is
suppose to take care of it. Probably the section should be modified
like this?

case $1 in
        (configure)
                [ -x /usr/share/update-notifier/notify-reboot-required ] \
                  && /usr/share/update-notifier/notify-reboot-required
                exit 0
                ;;
esac

--