[zfs-discuss] W: typical cifs r/w performance

Darik Horn dajhorn at vanadac.com
Thu Apr 5 12:07:45 EDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 09:24, tuxo <tuxoholic at hotmail.de> wrote:
> Can somebody point me to a zfs benchmark site, where I can get an idea
> about typical cifs performance with my server hardware?
>
> I'm planing to use:
>
> -amd athlon triple core cpu
> -two mirrored green drives (raid1, not striped)
> -at least 2 gigs of parity ram (DDR3 1333)
> -gibabit lan
>
> What's a typical read/write throughput using samba/cifs with this kind
> of hardware?
>
> I've been using debian/stable with zfs-fuse for 2 years now, and samba/
> cifs throughput is obviously limited there. So I'm interested how much
> I can improve (performance wise) using the zfs kernel module.

The performance difference between zfs-fuse and zfs-linux is less
noticeable if the computer has slow storage.

The green HDDs are likely to be the limiting factor in this hardware
configuration.  Depending on the particular model, you're not likely
to get more than 20 MB/s for sequential IO and maybe 10 MB/s for
random IO.

Also remember that an 890FX or 990 series chipset is required for ECC
memory support with an AMD desktop CPU.  Asus is the only manufacturer
that clearly states whether their AM3 and AM3+ motherboards can
actually use ECC memory.  For others, it depends on firmware support,
which is inconsistent.

--
Darik Horn <dajhorn at vanadac.com>