[zfs-discuss] Any chance for a linux zfs-enabled lustre ppa from the makers of ZFS-on-linux ?

Ben Hodgens aequitas at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 23:05:17 EDT 2012

On Apr 26, 2012 7:03 PM, "Darik Horn" <dajhorn at vanadac.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 15:01, Christ Schlacta <aarcane at aarcane.org>
wrote:

> > If they're not using ubuntu, I'm cluseless as to what they would use
> > instead.
>
> In my experience, there are more RHEL instances (and derivatives
> thereof) in corporate production than all other Linux flavors
> combined.
>

> > both *hat* and *suse* are both poorly supported and lack much in the
way of applications..

> Dunno about this either.  Most commercial products certify on RHEL first.
>

> > and debian has NO commercial support and is either archaic (stable) or
unstable (unstable).

> Debian shops have a different business culture and a different basis
> for "stable".  They don't usually buy that kind of support, or have
> anything like a RHCE bullet on the hiring checklist for technicians,
> so they don't show up in the surveys or statistics.  But they do
> exist.

I run one such Debian shop (mostly with udev and kernels from testing where
appropriate). It was the cleanest migration destination from the gong show
rhel/fedora/gentoo/Ubuntu/debian/omg I inherited. I've got ZoL in use on a
couple debian storage machines where it makes sense and MD raid otherwise.

The biggest problem Debian has had is that by the end of a release its s
bit long in the tooth all around. Its usually OK to use testing months
before it goes stable. The lack of features aren't nearly the problem of so
called stable lts releases of Ubuntu having actual kernel stability
problems or WIP init replacements :p or the major version upgrade breakages
of rpm systems. That's why I pick it. Its minimal and simple which is
usually what's needed unless its a desktop.

I will be using Ubuntu for a desktop roll out this summer. Its better on
the cutting edge but it is for the most part break prone until shortly
before the .10 release I've found....

I will note that I'm in an academic environment with somewhat broad and
diverse needs. Rhel can't do it without deviation from standard packages
(which devs like to overlay and abuse anyway). Ubuntu deviates from
generalized server patches too often....