[zfs-discuss] Re: 12.04 issues - but mostly working ok

Darik Horn dajhorn at vanadac.com
Fri Apr 27 12:38:50 EDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 11:17, Greg <retheoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks so much for your help again Darik!

Welcome.

> About the stale zpool.cache, how would one fix that if running root
> ZFS?  I can't export/import while running on that pool.

Doing an export+import on any of the non-root pools will refresh the
/etc/zfs/zpool.cache file.

> I can, however, boot into my usb disk and import there, but I am guessing
> that wont rebuild my zpool.cache, right?

No, this actually works if the USB system is approximately the same as
the target system.

At the GRUB prompt, add break=bottom to the kernel command line and do
the export+import routine at the rescue prompt.  Then mount the root
filesystem and copy the new /etc/zfs/zpool.cache file into it.

> Also, I just noticed this system is missing a /dev/disk/by-uuid
> folder.  And when I run "mkswap /dev/sda3", it doesn't populate
> anything in the by-uuid folder.  Running "blkid" doesn't even show
> that partition. So something is messed up in the UUID
> department. :)

Maybe.  The /dev/disk hierarchy is inconsistently populated, which is
an annoyance.

On one machine,  I have
/dev/disk/{by-id,by-partlabel,by-partuuid,by-path,by-uuid} and on
another I have /dev/disk/{by-id,by-label,by-path,by-uuid}.  Both
machines are working properly.

--
Darik Horn <dajhorn at vanadac.com>