[zfs-discuss] Any chance for a linux zfs-enabled lustre ppa from the makers of ZFS-on-linux ?

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Sat Apr 28 22:56:58 EDT 2012

On 2012-04-28, at 11:47, Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-04-27 at 21:51 -0700, Christ Schlacta wrote:
>> So in an unrelated note, if I'm willing to settle for an inferior
>> distro to use Lustre and ZFS together on Linux, what would the ideal
>> distro be where packages are provided and I'm not stuck in some sort
>> of package and dependancy hell ?
>
> I know next to nothing about Lustre, but from my point of view, ZFS on
> Linux seems to be best supported in Gentoo and Ubuntu.

Two important notes here:
- Lustre itself has a vast majority of servers running on RHEL6
- the large-scale testing at LLNL of Lustre+ZFS will also be running on RHEL6, which will be providing over 18,000 testing hours every day

As a result, if you are planning to use the two together, I would recommend staying on the well tested path, since this is still a relatively new environment.

Cheers, Andreas