[zfs-discuss] Re: system hangs running find on .zfs subdirectory

ray rayvantassle at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 09:12:39 EDT 2012

I'm starting to wonder if there's isn't an inherent flaw with ZFS
design on PC systems, in that ZFS seems to require an inordinate
amount of RAM in order to work reliably.
I've had zfs-fuse running fine on a 2GB 32-bit Debian/Ubuntu system,
but recently have been trying zfsonlinux because it is in active
development and now supports .zfs/snapshot access (which zfs-fuse
doesn't have).   ZFS Version 0.6.0-rc8 wouldn't even survive the first
set of regression tests.  So I upgraded to a 64-bit Ubuntu.  On the 64
bit system passed the regression tests fine, but got a kernel oops
when I started playing with looking at snapshots.  It is absurd for a
desktop PC to require several GB's of ram just to support a filesystem.