[zfs-discuss] ZFS not mounted, device nodes exist

Christ Schlacta aarcane at aarcane.org
Tue Feb 21 01:08:55 EST 2012

So I upgraded my last ZFS host from natty to oneiric.  I had a lot of
customization on this system, so I first ran ppa-purge to remove
zfs-native/daily and zfs-native/stable before upgrading.  I then removed
all ZFS related files (except for sysctl memory settings and /etc/zfs ),
and reinstalled from PPAs.  As far as I know, I got all my
customizations, but for some reason now ZFS is NOT auto-mounting.  ZFS
is properly creating device nodes, and my /etc/default/zfs is an exact
replica of the one posted to the zfs faq.  It was my understanding that
this setting alone should make init automount the zfs files as part of
the automount script.

Additional notes:  All my pools are successfully imported.  All my
exports work properly (once mounted).  All my filesystems mount properly
when I run zfs mount -a.

master at density:~$ cat /etc/default/zfs
# Automatically run `zfs mount -a` at system startup if set non-empty.
ZFS_MOUNT='yes'

# Automatically run `zfs unmount -a` at system shutdown if set non-empty.
ZFS_UNMOUNT='yes'

master at density:~$ sudo aptitude search zfs
p   libzfs-dev                                                     -
Native ZFS filesystem development files for Linux
p   libzfs1                                                        -
Native ZFS filesystem library for Linux
v   lzfs                                                           -
v   lzfs                                                           -
v   lzfs-dkms                                                      -
v   lzfs-dkms                                                      -
p   ubuntu-zfs                                                     -
Native ZFS filesystem metapackage for Ubuntu.
p   zfs-auto-snapshot                                              - ZFS
Automatic Snapshot Service
i   zfs-dkms                                                       -
Native ZFS filesystem kernel modules for Linux
p   zfs-dracut                                                     -
Native ZFS root filesystem capabilities for Linux
p   zfs-fuse                                                       - ZFS
on FUSE
p   zfs-initramfs                                                  -
Native ZFS root filesystem capabilities for Linux
i   zfsutils                                                       -
Native ZFS management utilities for Linux

master at density:~$ sudo zfs list -t all -o name,mountpoint,canmount,mounted
NAME                          MOUNTPOINT            CANMOUNT  MOUNTED
downloads                     /downloads                  on       no
downloads/downloads           /downloads/downloads        on       no
tank                          /tank                       on       no
tank/backups                  /tank/backups               on       no
tank/backups/amanda           /tank/backups/amanda        on       no
tank/backups/share2           /tank/backups/share         on       no
tank/ebooks                   /tank/ebooks                on       no
tank/games                    /tank/games                 on       no
tank/home                     /nethomes                   on       no
tank/home/aarcane             /nethomes/aarcane           on       no
tank/home/bar_ohki            /nethomes/bar_ohki          on       no
tank/home/dan                 /nethomes/dan               on       no
tank/home/debra               /nethomes/debra             on       no
tank/home/jaime               /nethomes/jaime             on       no
tank/home/nick                /nethomes/nick              on       no
tank/home/reesie              /nethomes/reesie            on       no
tank/jaime                    /tank/jaime                 on       no
tank/jaime at send               -                            -        -
tank/log                      /tank/log                   on       no
tank/misc                     /tank/misc                  on       no
tank/music                    /tank/music                 on       no
tank/osximg                   -                            -        -
tank/samba                    /tank/samba                 on       no
tank/test                     -                            -        -
tank/torrent                  /home/torrent               on       no
tank/videos                   /tank/videos                on       no
tank/virtual                  /tank/virtual               on       no
tank/virtual at now              -                            -        -
tank/virtual/centos           -                            -        -
tank/virtual/centos at now       -                            -        -
tank/virtual/debmirror        -                            -        -
tank/virtual/debmirror at now    -                            -        -
tank/virtual/dhcp1            -                            -        -
tank/virtual/dhcp1 at send1      -                            -        -
tank/virtual/dhcp1 at send0      -                            -        -
tank/virtual/directory        -                            -        -
tank/virtual/directory at now    -                            -        -
tank/virtual/dm               -                            -        -
tank/virtual/dm at now           -                            -        -
tank/virtual/dm at 1-7_10:47     -                            -        -
tank/virtual/dm at 1-7_10:52     -                            -        -
tank/virtual/ds1              -                            -        -
tank/virtual/ds1 at 1-7_11:54    -                            -        -
tank/virtual/ds2              -                            -        -
tank/virtual/ds2 at now          -                            -        -
tank/virtual/iso              /tank/virtual/iso           on       no
tank/virtual/iso at now          -                            -        -
tank/virtual/ns1              -                            -        -
tank/virtual/ns1 at send1        -                            -        -
tank/virtual/ns1 at send0        -                            -        -
tank/virtual/radius           -                            -        -
tank/virtual/radius at upgrade1  -                            -        -
tank/virtual/radius at upgrade2  -                            -        -
tank/virtual/radius at upgrade3  -                            -        -
tank/virtual/test             -                            -        -
tank/virtual/uac              -                            -        -
tank/virtual/uac at now          -                            -        -
tank/volumes                  /tank/volumes              off       no
tank/volumes/disk1            -                            -        -
tank/wii                      /tank/wii                   on       no
tank/wii at now                  -                            -        -
tank/www                      /tank/www                   on       no