[zfs-discuss] Re: Re: Bug bounty ($2k) on bug #709

Chris Dunlop chris at onthe.net.au
Fri Jun 22 22:12:26 EDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 06:18:06PM +0200, Gunnar Beutner wrote:
> On 22.06.2012 15:10, Chris Dunlop wrote:
>> On 2012-06-20, Gunnar Beutner<gunnar-CwS2CN1OPELa5EbDDlwbIw at public.gmane.org>  wrote:
>>> And here's the new version of the patch:
>>>
>>> https://gunnar-beutner.de/files/0001-Fix-znode-corruption-when-using-xattr-sa-v2.patch
>>
>> Sorry, it looks like somthing's not right with this patch. I'm getting
>> apparent corrupted directory listings. After a fresh "rmmod zfs" and
>> "zfs mount -a" (which reloads the modules), an "ls -l" of a directory
>> (containing subdirs with xattrs) on one pool was ok, then an "ls -l" of
>> a similar directory on a different pool (to compare the two listings)
>> came back with ??? all over the place e.g. where permissions etc.
>> should be listed, i.e. they're corrupted. Then an "ls -l" of the
>> original dir also came back corrupted. This happened twice (i.e. after
>> unloading and reloading zfs modules). Reverting back to the original
>> patch resolved this issue, i.e. both directories could be listed without
>> problems.
>
> Do you have a way to reproduce this? Or maybe a copy of the zpool
> where you're observing that behavior, assuming it was a test zpool
> with no real data on it.

The directory listing problem is on live (backup) pools but I
can reproduce a different(?) problem using the first part of my
original problem reproducer, i.e.:

  reboot
  modprobe zfs
  zfs create -o xattr=sa pool/test
  mkdir /pool/test/dir
  setfattr -n user.foo -v foo /pool/test/dir
  touch /pool/test/dir/file

Which results in:

  touch: cannot touch `/pool/test/dir/file': Input/output error

I was sure that I had successfully run my original test when I
first installed your second patch, but it seems I must not have
updated my modules properly at that time.

Chris