[zfs-discuss] CDDL vs GPL

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 13:34:01 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 04:07:05PM +0200, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> Apparently CDDL was _intentionally_ made to be incompatible with GPL.
>
> http://kerneltrap.org/node/8066/
>
> I'm not sure if this exists somewhere on the ZoL site, but maybe it
> should?
>
> I do recall that the discussion why ZoL isn't in the mainstream
> kernel source comes up every now and then...

Old news. That's what it's being developed as a loadable kernel module. You
can completely sidestep the whole license and patent issues, when you
compile and load your own software on your own system.

ZFS won't become GPL, and Linux won't become CDDL. Btrfs is the future for
Linux, although I personally think that the current open source version of
ZFS is more stable, and more complete.

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o