[zfs-discuss] Help with estimated memory need

Gregor Kopka gregor at kopka.net
Mon Mar 12 08:12:47 EDT 2012

Swâmi,

My point was that at the moment 16GB of DDR3 RAM is available here for
under 100EUR (incl. tax, packaging, shipping, and the cost for the
phonecall to order it).
This is /noting/ compared to what i have seen: my first PC had 4_MB_ for
a pricetag which translates to >200EUR in todays currency.
That's why i selected my wording the way i did.

I didn't mean to insult you, in case i managed to do this: please accept
my apologies.

To put it into perspective: At the current prices 32GB is for me the
total cost of living for a week, YMMV.

Also i notice systems with DDR2 RAM start to being dumped at the local
recycling station (since the guys there are somewhat reasonable i
/could/ take a screwdriver and go dumpster diving for some cost-free
DDR2 - which would need to be tested thoroughly, though).

BTW: The prices Chris mentioned are a little on the low side (i'm sure
there are some zeroes missing).

Gregor