[zfs-discuss] Help with estimated memory need

Branden Lundy r1tual1337 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 09:38:15 EDT 2012

If you have access to old systems you can basically guess and check
DIMMs. I used this method to put together an entire computer lab worth
of systems during middle school for my computer / woodshop teacher.
Granted you'll have a loss ratio on parts, but the majority of the
time when people buy new systems they just throw the old ones away.
All of these were donated by companies to the school because they got
a tax write off and were sitting in a storage shed. After testing
through about 50-60 systems I managed to put together components for
about 20 computers. While it takes more time and effort, this does
quite well and can produce fully stable systems if done with attention
to detail. Most times there was merely one broken component in the
entire system. Often times you have to run software on the system in
order to check the RAM for read/write errors, but this is freely
available, you should be able to get an ISO and test RAM this way if
you are salvaging from other systems. Kind regards,

-Branden Lundy